Governance is a critical issue for social enterprises. It is the experience of CMS that in most cases of social enterprises getting into difficulties, problems of governance are wholly or partially responsible. Many conventional sources of business advice are unfamiliar with the governance issues in social enterprises, these sources assume an owner-manager or a small number of owners.
CMS can provide expert advice on:-
- Board composition and recruitment
- Multi-stakeholder and single stakeholder boards
- Good board governance
- Board skills audit
- Developing and involving member
- Managing conflicts of interest
It is vitally important that social enterprises choose the right legal structure. The wrong legal structure can act as a drag on the business, make it difficult to involve key stakeholders, involve the business in unnecessary regulation or close off key sources of funding.
CMS is a nationally recognised expert in legal forms for social enterprise. We are a regular consultee by government on legal forms for social enterprises and have advised several hundred social enterprises on these forms. Unlike many advisors in the sector, we offer expert advice on the full range of legal forms for social enterprise:-
- Unincorporated associations
- Companies Limited by Shares or Guarantee
- Community Interest Companies ( CIC)
- Industrial and Provident Societies (IPS)
- Limited Liability Partnerships (LLP)
At CMS we offer expert advice on legal forms for social enterprise and co-operatives so call for chat …